Minimum Technology Requirements
In order to participate in an online or hybrid course, students will need:
- PC or a Mac computer
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OS X or later
- Webcam with microphone
- Internet access
- Supported browser: Run the UTSA Browser Check to check compatibility.
Recommended Browsers: Firefox or Chrome
- Word processing software: Office 365 is available for students through OITConnect.
- Additional hardware and software as required by a department or instructor.
Common Downloads and Plug-Ins
There will be downloads and plug-ins you will need in order to ensure a successful online learning experience, including:
- Adobe PDF Reader
- Adobe Macromedia Flash Player
- Media Player: most browsers have a built in ability to play media.
UTSA currently uses the learning management system, Blackboard Learn. Blackboard Learn is a user-friendly online learning environment that provides instructors with the ability to present online and hybrid course content in an organized and simple to navigate manner. Blackboard Learn relies on your Internet browser to display content. It is important that you configure your browser correctly so it will function properly.
- Make sure that you are using a supported browser. Run the UTSA Browser Check to check compatibility.
- Enable Cookies for UTSA’s Blackboard Learn site: http://utsa.blackboard.com/
- Enable pop-up windows for UTSA’s Blackboard Learn site: http://utsa.blackboard.com/
- Add http://utsa.blackboard.com/ as a Trusted Site.
Resources and Tutorials for Digital Tools
- Student Introduction to Hybrid/Online Courses is an open course within UTSA’s Blackboard. Follow the instructions to enroll yourself in this free, open course.
- Student Support and Services: Technical support services for personal devices such as laptops, tablets, and phones. Services provided at no cost to registered UTSA students.
- Blackboard Learn Help for Students: Look up a particular part of Blackboard you don’t understand and learn more about it.